Saturday 13 May 2023

My old film camera …

I haven’t seen a box of 35mm film since about 2003 when I finally had access to a decent digital camera. A camera I recently passed to Mary for GCSE Photography. And her lovely tutor sent home the film as he discovered we had a working old fashioned camera.



 Mary took photos as we opened up the case of this beautiful old thing. It was my fathers camera, from my early childhood. My dad took many of our pictures and printed them himself. We lived alongside the enlarger and the chemicals and trays were shelved away from us, and any bulb in the house could be swapped out for red on a dark night.  When I was 18 and doing art A level, the old camera became mine. 

Like riding a bike, I hadn’t forgotten how to load it. The digital camera from 2003 buzzed in Mary’s hands as she documented the process.

Who used empty film canisters to store other things in? I remember going camping with matches stored in one. The Prinzflex M-1 is ready to play. Did I mention it’s a screw mount lens? I have three of them. Where’s my tripod? 

Does anyone know what that little black button near the winder does? I haven’t used it yet! 


No comments: