Saturday 16 May 2009

my lovely birthday present, and the bag i made for her to live in ...





this year on my trip to scotland i fell in love with a stringed instrument. i couldnt put my friend davie's crafter down, even when my fingers were grooved and sore ... so i knew what i wanted for my birthday this year and let me say, its much more fun than chocolate or soap!
after messing around on ebay i followed a UK forums advice to contact the acoustic music compnay (TAMCO), and they made a reccomendation which i also followed ... after michael played some mandolins to me on the phone.
funny thing about the bag tho, you know how i love to sew and when i was looking on ebay i thought yeah, i can make a bag for it etc etc ...
then michael at TAMCO said 'sorry, we dont have any gig bags, we got sent banjo bags by mistake!'
imagine my joy as i ran to my fabric stash to plan some patchwork!
the bag is lined with some almost-hideous-but-soft-and-woolly vintage rug fabric, from jean down the road ...

4 comments:

Caroline B said...

That's terrific - so glad it wasn't a frying pan!! So when do we get a little video of you playing it then?

Jackie said...

Well I was nearly right with the banjo bag. It could have been a tennis racquet I suppose, or a flat cat with a long tail...or a Davey Crocket hat or....
But I'm glad its a mandolin. Now we need a video of your performance.

Anonymous said...

I am also glad that it wasn't a frying pan.Hope we get to hear you playing it soon.



PS.I do like the bags that you make.

Pat.{Who likes all things ratty]

Matilda said...

what a wondeful birthday gift!! and a great bag to keep it safe and cosy.
Happy belated Birthday Cat. xxxxx