Saturday 9 March 2024

Book Review MADE FOR US Polly Owen & Daniel Duncan



I’m in a SCBWI group with the author of this new book, and she sent me a copy to review. I was interested in seeing it because I’ve been working with adults who have learning and other disabilities and have been considering issues such as accessibility. 

This builds on my connection with Sweet Cherry Publishing who recently launched a more accessible imprint, Every cherry. It made me wonder if MADE FOR US also comes in other forms like simplified text, symbols or audio, especially as the three characters that we meet in the book are shown listening to audiobooks. 

This book was surprising because I didn’t realise that everyday inventions that help me do things better were actually created to make life easier for someone with a disability. For example, typing, to assist a blind person to communicate by letter, and touch screens because typing can be difficult for some people. I benefit every day from these inventions. 

I like the way that the objects and the inventors were drawn. They felt friendly and kind. The three main characters were more cartoon style and they helped make the book look fun. 

I am a volunteer School reader and lots of my year three readers bring non fiction books to me. I think they would really like this one. It’s by Oxford University Press and has a reading level of 11 to help you choose. 




No comments: