Tuesday 27 June 2023

Michael, the Amazing Mind Reading Sausage Dog!

I don’t just make plush from picture books of course, I love to recreate all kinds of kidlit characters. So meet Michael. And yes, I read the whole book before I made him. It’s as hilarious and delightful as the cover by Tim Budgen suggests. 



I decided to recreate a scene from chapter one when Michael meets Stanley Bog Dog, his part played by Daisy’s Ikea dog who is only ever referred to as Dog. The oak tree is played by my gorgeous Hawthorn, here when we moved in. 



Amazingly I got to share Michael’s book and his plush self with a local primary school I volunteer in. And then, attend the book launch in London the next day. Terrie let me do the big reveal while Tim snapped this photo of us. There were a few ooohs and aaahs I think, but I did feel a little out of my comfort zone! 



Tim signed my book too, and I can confirm from the conversations that BOOK 2 is well underway. Year four will be pleased, that was one of their questions. One extract and the whole class wanted a copy of book one. 



Terrie sent this picture. I’ll treasure it as well as the memory of how much Michael’s waistcoat sparkled under the lights. 



All the best book launches involve cake, did you know that? I managed to get one of these gorgeous cakes back to Weymouth for my lunch the following day. 


But back to plush Michael. I’ve now seen a class of children react to one of my pieces and it was really fun. I just know Terry is going to enjoy having him alongside her for future school visits and events. I think she really likes him. 

No comments: