Thursday 9 February 2023

I do like pigeons!

I like pigeons a lot. We sometimes hand feed the ones near the RSPB reserve here in Weymouth. Look at those feathers. That sheen. Could I make one? 



So I gathered together an old (clean) sock, toy filling, string and wool, duct tape and pipe cleaners, and cobbled together this maquette. It’s a bit of a mess. But my daughter Mary adopted it after I’d finished using it to make patterns. 


Made my first pigeon using felted woollens cut without a seam allowance and oversewed with wool thread. Wings are added after the body is complete. The legs are wire covered in small pink woollen pieces and over stitched. I used beads from my stash for the eyes. 


Pigeon number 2 is made using dyed wool cloth, and embroidered thread to hint at those shimmers of magenta and green. 


I feel like their shape is better than the maquette form, and also surprisingly slightly larger. I was really pleased with them. 


This lead to a commission, to make Angus. A bit of a character by all accounts …


The wing markings were created using small fabric shapes and needle felting them. Needle Felting is like magic. 


And just so you know, here is the real Angus. 



2 comments:

Caroline B said...

These are so great! It's fun making birds isn't it!

Amaan Pest Control said...

Nice Blog! Are you searching for pest control services in Zirakpur? Our pest control services include termite control, cockroach control, rat control, etc. We provide 100% customer satisfaction.